- 1/2 cup sweeten coconut toasted
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3-4 tablespoon sugar to taste
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 tablespoon coconut extract
- 1/4 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place the coconut in a large dry skillet over low heat; cook, stirring often, until golden brown and toasted, about 7-10 min. You have to be sure to keep an eye on it otherwise it will burn.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg until frothy and paler in color, about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and coconut milk then whisk well to combine.
- Pour the cornstarch, white sugar, and salt into a saucepan.
- Pour the liquid into the saucepan and whisk it well. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking nearly constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 5-7 min.
- Remove from the heat and stir it in the butter, coconut extract, and vanilla. Cool the pudding for a couple of minutes.
- Pour through a fine sieve into individual serving dishes. Place some saran wrap directly on top of the pudding to prevent a film from forming.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 1 hour.
- Serve topped with whipped cream and a spoonful (or two) of the toasted coconut. Enjoy!