2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pitted sour cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Add all ingredients to list
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch, round, cake pans; cover the bottoms with waxed paper.
- Take a large bowl .Add the combined flour, 2 cups sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, and 1 tablespoon vanilla; beat it until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake it for 35 min, or until wooden toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 min. Loose the edges, and remove to racks to cool completely.
- Drain the cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Combine reserved juice, cherries, 1 cup white sugar and cornstarch in a 2 quarter saucepan. Cook at lower heat until thicken, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool it before using.
- Combine whipping cream and confectioner’s white sugar in a chilled medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- By using long serrated knife, split each cake layer in half in horizontally. Tear one split layer into crumbs; set it aside. Reserve 1 1/2 cups Frosting for decorating cake; set aside. Slowly brush loose crumbs off top and side of each cake layer with pasty brush or hands. For arranging, place one cake layer on cake plate. Spread with 1 cup frosting; top with 3/4 cup cherry topping. Top with second cake layer; repeat layers of frosting and cherry topping. Top with third cake layer. Frost side of cake. Pat reserved crumbs onto frosting on side of cake. Spoon reserved frosting into pastry bag fitted with star decorator tip. Pipe around top and bottom edges of cake. Spoon remaining cherry topping onto top of cake.